On Thursday, August 29th Electrolux celebrated its 100-year anniversary. Electrolux decided to commemorate the event by introducing the Better Living Program, a plan to enable better and more sustainable living for consumers around the world by 2030.
Electrolux, which has been ranked as an industry sustainability leader by multiple independent organizations, is now taking an even more holistic approach to sustainability.
With a strong focus on better eating, better garment care and better home environment, the initiative widens the scope of Electrolux commitment to sustainability and enables the company to contribute in a meaningful way on key global challenges.
4 new 2030 targets for sustainability
According to its commitment to sustainable living, Electrolux defined 4 new 2030 targets aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals:
- Make sustainable eating the preferred choice.
- Make clothes last twice as long with half the environmental impact.
- Make homes free from harmful allergens and pollutants.
- Make our business circular and climate neutral.
Electrolux sustainability efforts have primarily focused on its operations and supply chain in society (which account for 15% of the company’s climate impact), and the energy consumption from use of products (which accounts for 85%). Electrolux will maintain a strong approach to manage the company’s direct and indirect environmental impact, with the aim to become circular and climate neutral.
With the Better Living Program, Electrolux wants to drive the change both in its own supply chain and in the major usage areas of its products. The Better Living Report recently validated the relevance of the four 2030 targets in terms of consumer attitudes and challenges:
- Make sustainable eating the preferred choice: Electrolux will accelerate its leadership in food preservation solutions that help reducing food waste, and develop cooking solutions increasing the ease and attractiveness of sustainable food choices.
- Make clothes last twice as long with half the environmental impact: Electrolux will continue to improve fabric care technology increasing longevity of clothes and reducing water and energy consumption. We will also collaborate with stakeholders such as the clothing and detergent industry, to drive innovation and inspire consumers to adopt more sustainable care habits.
- Make homes free from harmful allergens and pollutants: Electrolux will accelerate development of sophisticated air and climate solutions that optimize indoor air. Moreover, we will explore new ownership models that enable more consumers to improve their home environment.
- Make our business circular and climate neutral: Electrolux will significantly increase its use of renewable energy, and install solar panels throughout its facilities. Exploring opportunities for circularity, we will also aim to achieve zero waste from factories, and drive a project to develop a fully recycled and recyclable vacuum cleaner.
Electrolux shapes living for the better by reinventing taste, care and wellbeing experiences, making life more enjoyable and sustainable for millions of people.
Read more in our press release.